Quick poll: Case sensitivity of LOOKUP and MATCH

Daniel Stein
Daniel Stein Employee
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi all,

Our current LOOKUP and MATCH functions are case sensitive, e.g., "my task" will not match against "My task".

Would folks expect these functions to be case sensitive, case insensitive, or do you have no preference?

Thanks,

Daniel

Tags:

Comments

• I would say that changing capitalization is a common mistake and horrible way to intentionally differentiate entries, so I would expect searching functions to ignore it by default.

The best solution would be a "Match Case" checkbox or separate case sensitive and non-case sensitive functions (like Find vs Search in excel)

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I concur with Eric. Though I know that some functions in Excel and Google Sheets are also looking for case sensitivity, it would be cool to have an optional modifier in the function to choose to be case-sensitive or not. Sometimes this modifier is found by including a 1 or 0 after the function, as an additional parameter of the function. I would expect that smartsheet would set up the function similar to what other users are used to but adding an optional criterion to turn on, or off, the case sensitivity could be useful. 

• Thank you both, we are looking into changing LOOKUP and MATCH to be case insensitive, to help users avoid unintentional errors due to case mismatch.

If you can think of a particular scenario where you would want to be able to toggle these to case sensitive, please let me know.

Thanks,

Daniel

• I would like to have the option to make it case sensitive or not.  (Sidenote: I use the FIND function, and that is also case sensitive, even thought I don't always want it to be)

• Hi all,

We will change the VLOOKUP and MATCH search term to be case insensitive in the coming month. In addition, the "true/false" parameter in VLOOKUP will no longer be case sensitive, so you can type "True" or "TRUE." You will also be able to enter 1 or 0 instead of "true" or "false."

These enhancements should help to avoid errors while typing formulas. Some existing errors may go away when we release.

Thanks,

Daniel

• Cel
    Cel
    edited 06/20/19

I also use FIND, would like if that function is not case sensitive.  Is there any way this may also happen?

Thank you, 

Cel

• Ke6n
    Ke6n ✭✭

Adding an optional parameter to control this would have been so much better

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!