Formula To mark a row as recent

Deirdre
Deirdre
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello, 

I would like to type the word recent into a cell based on it being recent(created date is in the last 7/ days).

Otherwise I want the Cell to be blank. 

This is what I tried but get  #UNPARSEABLE

=IF([Created]246>=TODAY(-7), "Recent", false)

I'm working in a quotes sheet that can get very long and I want to create a view which only show rows where the quote has an order (order column has an order number) and where it is a recent quote (created date is last 7 days). This can't be achieved with a view as it is either BOTH or EITHER statements are to be true and we could have old quotes with an order number in the order column that we want to see. 

So I thought I would put a formula in the order column like the above and have the view only show rows where the order column is populated with something.. Order number or the word recent....

Thanks for your time in advance. I hope you can help.

Deirdre

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try this rendition. the Today() function shouldn't have anything in the parenthesis and then you can use -7 to subtract that from today. Also, you needed to put false in quotes. Otherwise, you were definitely on the right track.

=IF([Created]246>=TODAY()-7, "Recent", "false")

• Travis
    Travis Employee

@Mike, you are correct about the quotes around "false" - that is what was producing the error. 

While TODAY() - 7 DOES work in this instance, the parenthesis are used to add or subtract days from the TODAY() function. 

Best practice is to write it like this: TODAY(-7)

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Travis. I did not know that about the Today() function. I rarely use it! Good to know. 

• Thanks Mike and Travis, I really appreciate your help. 

FYI: I changed it to the below so that the cell would be empty if it was not recent (created in last 7 days). 

=IF(Created1 >= TODAY(-7), "Recent", "")

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!