New in Smartsheet: See Images in Your Sheets

Travis
Travis Employee
edited 12/03/18 in General Announcements

With Smartsheet’s latest improvement, you can now insert images directly into cells and view them in the context of your work! The images snap to the grid, meaning they will auto-adjust when changes are made to the row. You can customize your image size by adjusting the column width, or double-click to view full size.

Visit our blog to learn more about viewing images in your sheets, or check out our release notes for more details on Smartsheet’s latest improvements.

Comments

• inserted images have a yellow background applied to the cell, and dont seem to show up on mobile devices.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pete, I haven't tried to add images to cells myself but is it possible that you have Highlight Changes turned on? This will highlight any cell that has been changed within the time frame you've selected. 

• Travis
    Travis Employee

I think Jaye is correct - you might have highlight changes turned on.

As for mobile, our Mobile team is working hard to get this functionality added to the iOS and Android app. They are close and you should see the update in the near future! 

• Stefan Kubinec
    edited 01/18/16

A)
    Will be new "Image in Cell" feature implemented into the "Add-on Merge" for Google Docs? It would bring a real usefull improvement in data output process to the presentation purposes.

B)
    Data merging a la Add-on Smartsheet for Google Docs for a particular row would be very usefull feature directly in Attachement menu in a sheet. Smartsheet has no other standard tool to create nicely readable presentation of data stored in a row. A sheet can be used for systematic storing information and can provide the data set for external users. They have no way how effectively produce actual output from a row data. At the present it is necessary to go to Google DOCS and merge data from selected row. This process is not enough simple and not enough clear to end users. Data administrator could have an option to add a link /links/ to the "pre-prepared form" and provide to end user an option to merge data of the current row data and automatically store PDF as the new row attachement.

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't seem able to enter images. I right click on a cell but do not see any option to "insert image". What am I doing incorrectly?

• When will the "insert image" functionality be added to web forms?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 01/19/16

Stefan - we do have plans to incorporate images from the grid into the Smartsheet Merge integration. I dont have a timeline for this but it is on our roadmap. 

I agree, having a built in tool to show presentable output of a row would be beneficial and I will pass your feedback along. 

Tim - images can be added to any column except System columns and any column associated with dependencies (such as start date, end date, duration columns). What type of column are you trying to add images to?

Bryan - I dont have a timeline for when that might be added. At this time, the best option is to attach the image to the row through the web form attachment option. 

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

Travis - I have a simple sheet. I have four columns:

Project ID (the primary column)

Completion date (date format)

Review status (dropdown)

Notes (text/number format)

So, I right click on a cell in the Notes column and my options are:

Cut

Copy

Paste (grayed)

Paste Special (grayed)

Clear Contents

View History (grayed)

-----------------------------

Insert Row

Delete Ros

------------------------------

Hyperlink ...

Link from cell in other sheet

------------------------------

Row Actions ...

I have tried in other sheets and get the same options.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Thanks Tim. Are you using an older version of Internet Explorer? Images in grid is only supported by Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer 11+.  

If you are using an older version of Internet Explorer, you might consider updating as Microsoft stopped supporting anything older than IE11 on January 12, 2016 (and Smartsheet will stop supporting these browsers in the future as well). 

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Travis. We use IE 9. I switched to using Chrome and everything is good. Thanks,

• Morgan Stewart
    edited 12/11/23

Hi Travis,

WE are in the structural steel industry. These details would apply to all AEC type workflows.

Im trying to creat a form that will note outstanding drafting markups for each job

Im thinking this same style of layout will also be used for an RFI log,

I've attached a screenshot from blubeam that may give you an ide aon the data flow.

questions

1) Is there a way to format a column to autofill date created? This would be done when a new markup comes in.

2) is there a way to export from bluebeam into smartsheet so that every markup is given its own row? Perhaps we may need to export the markup file summary as an excel file??? This really helps our drafters and checkers to be accountable for each line item task instead of one big file

3) I was thinking worst case scenario the flow would be that we save the marked up pdf and then pull screenshots off of the file and save into smartsheet. For the image insert can you past what is on your clipboard or do i need to upload a file from a root location on my computer?

thanks a bunch

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Morgan!

1) Yes you can track time/date a row was created. Right click on a column header and select Insert Column > Auto-Number/System > Created (Date).

2) I am not familiar with Bluebeam but I checked Zapier and Azuqua (apps that connects Smartsheet with other apps) and I was not able to find an integration. Smartsheet does have an API so it may be possible to build a custom solution but I was not able to locate any prebuilt integrations between Bluebeam and Smartsheet. 

3) For adding images to the grid, you cannot copy and paste from your computer. Images will need to be uploaded from your computer or attached from Box, Dropbox, or Drive. 

• Hi Travis, Do you have any updates on the when the "insert image" functionality will be added to forms?

• is there a way to allow a user to enter a photo into a cell within a form? I want to have a column that captures a photo so that I can include that image on a Generated document.

Alternatively is there a way to include the attached photos on the generated report?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @stephenwiant

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit this as a Product Feedback or Idea (If it hasn't been added already) when you have a moment.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.