Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sights Dashboards - gantt chart reports are formatting weirdly

Bjohnson
Bjohnson
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Ok I don't know what other term to use...but on every dashboard the gantt chart reports have all reformatted themselves to make whatever column in the middle of the report HUGE...and shrinking the gantt chart part to a very small and kind of dumb looking last column.

I love you Smartsheets --but you are making it almost impossible to advocate for full corporate adoption if this sort of random resizing happens.

Any ideas?  i have like 100 reports that look silly on dashboards.  

Comments

• Hi there - 

Sorry to hear about this - would you please let me know if editing the Gantt in the report (while still in Sights) to change the column width and saving those changes corrects this? 

Please feel free to email me if you'd like.

Best,

Kara

kara.lumley@smartsheet.com

• Hi Kara -- no it does not.  i can sort of try to realign the column sizing but it keeps the middle column super wide.

can we please undo what ever did this?   all our dashboards look awful now

thanks

• Hi, sorry to hear that did not work. 

Can you please contact Support@Smartsheet.com - they will be able to help further, and will have your account and contact info as well. A screenshot may be helpful to send to them too.

Thank you,

Kara

• ok...will do....thanks!

• Hi Kara - a heads up that I was walking a co-worker through the same thing yesterday - a report with gantt then displaying on a Sight and this is the first time the gantt was not showing correctly.  

What is was doing:

• expanding the last column of the report piece to auto-size with the widget as if we didn't have the gantt checked
    • then the gantt was extremely limited in the view as you would expect to see on the sheet itself with the gantt except in the widget you, of course, do not have the option to adjust view size of the gantt. 
  • This is the EXACT problem I am having right now. Did you get a solution?

The Gantt looks fine in my report, but when I put it on my Sight, I can't stretch out the Gantt section to show across the length of the Sight page. When I stretch out that widget, the column directly to the left of the Gantt chart stretches WAY out. I just can't get the Gantt to show properly on that widget!

GanttReport.png

Sight-Gantt-1.png

Sight-Gantt-2.png

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/25/17

Hi,

Have you tried to adjust the divider in the sight (please see attached picture)

Hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée

F3B1A3BF-DC8B-4B55-B51B-F1F0204237DB.jpg

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I have tried that, Andreé, but it won't move!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have to adjust it when your outside of the edit mode.

Anybody can change it when they are viewing it and it will reset when refreshed.

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I tried that, too. I saved my Sight, closed it, did something else, and then went back in and opened the Sight. I tried to grab the column divider between the Gantt chart and the column immediately to the left, but it wouldn't slide.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Weird!

Which browser? Any special plugins?

Maybe try and open the sight in a private window.

If you wan't you can share it with me and i'll try it too.

Best,

Andrée

• I am, too, getting the same issue, please correct.

• The width of the Gantt portion of the Report Widget is auto-sizing down based on the reduced task date range in the report. If you are looking at a report that only has say, 5 days in your range of tasks, it will only display a smaller width to show you those included dates. Alternatively, for longer ranges you will notice it will show you every task in your report's range, and NOT automatically open to today's date. Here are a couple of best practices to get your Sight's report to shine.

First, for the shorter date ranges (filtered to only show 5 days for example) you may want to include a few more columns of data in your report to avoid the super wide furthest right column in the Report Widget in Sights. (This is done to fill the space as the other columns to the left are respected based on the column width in the report). You can also just widen the left report columns and it will be respected in the Sight Report as well.

Next, if you have TOO much range in your dates, and you want it to open to today's date, set your "When?" filters to show Today, (or in the last x days) and everything in the future. This way you can have a nice wide Gantt in your Sight, and still automatically open it to the tasks that you are currently working on.

Report Dates

• This is helpful, but the formatting is still pretty awful and uses too much real estate for the columns. We have the same issue for our sight. I can see the usefulness of sights, but this requires further development to make it truly look professional.

• Hi,

Are you working on a fix to allow your users to adjust the width of Gantt charts within Sights?  I'm running into an issue with one of my Sights where the Gantt chart is so thin it provides barely any value. 

I tried all the suggestions above.  Whether adjusting in edit mode or not, it still doesn't look right.  Allowing users to adjust to their liking no matter the date range would make things a whole lot easier. 

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.