COUNTIF example formulas using check box columns

Would anyone have a example of a formula to count checked boxes in a column divided by the number of unchecked boxes. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This should do the trick. Checkboxes use the actual value of 1 for checked and 0 for unchecked. You can divide the two countifs with simple math like seen below.

=Countif([column name]:[Column Name], 1) / Countif([column name]:[Column name], 0)

So if your column name is Completed Task then it would look like this: 

=Countif([Completed Task]:[Completed Task], 1) / Countif([Complete Task]:[Complete Task], 0)

• Thank you so much, that works perfect. Now I need to divide by the total number checked by the total number of boxes containg both checked and  not checked. I'm so close but no cigar at this point. Any suggestions?

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭

wouldn't it just be

=Countif([column name]:[Column Name], 1) / (Countif([column name]:[Column name], 0) + Countif([column name]:[Column name], 1))?

Also, the denominator is basically all so you could do a count rather than a countif ... but I think this formula is what you were describing

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/15/18

The formula dividing the total number into the number of checked is... 

=countif([column name]:[column name], 1) / count([column name]:[column name])

The count function counts all unblank cells in the range. 

• ricki
    ricki ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/15/18

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!