Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Lines disappearing

Jeff Smith
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is anyone having an issue where lines will mysteriously disappear? I was working on a sheet, went away to another application and when I came back 95 lines were missing. I was lucky and didn't lose too much work as I had just started on the sheet but it could have been worse. I couldn't undo it because I just realised I have auto-save on.  

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about your troubles! I have not heard any reports of user data being deleted without specific actions taken by users shared to the sheet. I would happy to help troubleshoot this with you. I just sent you an email requesting additional information. 

Thanks! 

• Melinda
    Melinda
    edited 03/17/16

I am also having the same issue. I will assign a task on a line and it will disappear off of the sheet it was moved to.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Melinda - are you moving rows between sheets? Try scrolling all the right for your data. If the columns exists in the source sheet but not the destination sheet (exact same type and name) then new columns will be added with your data on the far right of the destination sheet. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It also sounds like there is confusion between copying, moving, and linking.

Copy, the rows will be copied to the new sheet, but not be removed from the original sheet. As Travis mentioned, depending on how this accomplished may result in new columns being created.

Move, the rows are cut from the original sheet and moved to the new sheet.

If you do the right click Move menu item, here is more detail. Also will add columns if the new sheet does not match up with column names and types.

For the Copy, a change made in one sheet will not affect the other.

To do that, use the Link function. The links are one-way (one sheet is the master, others are displaying the master)

Craig

SS_MoveRow.jpg

• I have rows disasppearing mysteriously as well.

In addition, the columns for attachements  and discussions keep disappearing. I have to refresh the sheet to find them again. Anybody know what could be causing this?

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Alice, to see your attachment and discussions columns, try scrolling all the way to the left in your sheet.

Sounds simple, but I have seen many times, users will reach out to us asking about missing attachment and discussions columns and it turns out they were not scrolling all the way over to the left. 

• I'll give that a try next time--thanks!

• I have rows disappearing as well for multiple users of the sheet. This is a very big problem for us and the team is asking that we stop using Smartsheet.

1. No filter is applied

2. I searched activity log and I could not find where any rows have been deleted.

3. The rows were not being moved or copied.

4. This does not happen for all users.

5. This does not happen in other sheets.

• @aldinag
    @aldinag ✭✭✭

I just had that happening - my rows disappeared, but when i look up in the log nothing was deleted. My last changes to those rows are there. 

Also, when i look all the way to theleft the numbers of the rows that are missing aren't there. 

example : row 360,361, 347,348,350 

Any guidance is appreciated. 

SMT.jpg

• SMARTSHEET

We have lost a whole project row which is critical to our business, checking the activity logs show no adverse change apart from the usual field updates.

All of a sudden its disappeared and I need answers why.

We simply cannot have critical data go missing.

I also cannot find any support email or contact number. Im starting to have my doubts about the viability of this product.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Email:

support@smartsheet.com

Depending on your license type, this is sometimes faster:

https://help.smartsheet.com/contact?interaction[email]=jcwill23@gmail.com

And this is the number on the website:

+1 844-324-2360

Craig

• All,

I found that the root cause of this issue is multiple users working on a particular line concurrently is causing the line to disappear. We managed to mitigate this issue by making users check to see whos logged in and saving every minute.

Since applying this we dont appear to have 'lost'any lines.

Cam

This discussion has been closed.