Update/Approval request after declined

ChristineBurns
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am using Smartsheet for budget requests.  The alerts & actions are set to send an approval request when the requester submits the online budget request form.  If the approver declines the request, an update request is sent to the original requester where the comments, attachments, dollar amount can be updated.  How do I get the form back to the approver for a second review to change from declined to approve (if that is the case)?

Thank you,

Christine Burns

Comments

• Schiff A.
    Schiff A. Employee

Hello,

There are a couple of approaches you can take here depending on how you have your automation rules set up.

Approach 1: Modify your original Approval Request rule.

Construct the rule that triggers the initial approval request to trigger based on "any change" to a column or one of a range of possible entries such as "Submit", "Resubmit" etc.

Approach 2: Use multiple approval request rules.

It is possible to have multiple rules store approvals in the same column so you can have the initial submission trigger the first rule and then if that's denied, have a second rule that triggers off another column that would get updated within the update request. For example, you could have a checkbox column called "Resubmit" or you could have a text/number column called "Submission Number" and have the submitter increase the submission number by 1 to trigger the approval request again.

Thanks!

Schiff

Smartsheet Support

• Thanks Schiff!  Perfect!  I am new to Smartsheets and still learning :)

Thanks for your help,

Christine

• Hm - I'm encountering this issue as well and can't figure it out. We have a copy approval process where the requester sends it for an initial approval. If it gets declined and passed back for a second round of edits, how do you trigger the approval workflow to start again? 

I already have the trigger set as "when rows are added or changed"

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

You'd add another Trigger change. Something like, or when Approval is Declined.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.