Hiding dropdown values on a form

andygt02
andygt02
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Smartsheet users!

I have a sheet for selling fruit to two different customers, which includes a column called, "fruit type" of the dropdown variety. The values it contains are, "apple, banana, pineapple, orange, lemon, mango".

Both customers interact with a custom form made for them. Both forms have the "fruit type" dropdown, but I want customer A to only see apples and bananas, while customer B sees the other options. 

It's not practical to build two separate columns in my sheet for this (because in reality I'm dealing with nine forms). 

Is there a way I can hide the values of a dropdown for a single form? Other solutions to this?

Comments

• Is it impractical because of the form creation or because you want it clean in the sheet for other uses?  

One option would be to have seperate columns per customer that are hidden on your sheet.  Then have a column that references those so that you pull everything back into a single field.

• Could be a simple as having a selection column for your different customer types. And pulling the selected value into your Fruit Type column.

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.13.58 AM.jpg

• How would I do that?

• Is it possible to implement the formula above for multiple columns?

I will need to create upwards of 15 columns which will be hidden on my sheet. Only one cell will be populated in any of these 15 columns in any one row as the data will come in from various forms. I need one separate column - which will be visible - to return the data it finds in one of the 15 cells in a given row. Any suggestions?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jeni Tholmer

Try something like this.

=JOIN([Column 1]@row:[Column 15]@row)

The same version but with the below changes for convenience.

=JOIN([Column 1]@row:[Column 15]@row)

Depending on your country/region, you'll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did that work?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.