Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Setting up alerts on a Report

Megan Pecunia
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

We have a report that is populated when a cell is checked off from a tracking list. I would like to send an alert to co-worker when a new row is added to the report.

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Megan,

I assume that by report, you mean you have a sheet. Reports is a specific Smartsheeet functionality term, which is a way to view information from one or more sheets.

If my assumption is incorrect, apologies.

Add a column to flag the new row.

Here's one way: 

1. Add one of the system date columns (either Created or Modified)

2. In your other new column, set that equal to the system column

=Created23

for row 23

3. Copy that formula to the rest of your new column so that when a new row is added, the auto-fill feature will add the formula to the new row.

4. Use a Notification (under Alerts) to fire of the email to the co-worker.

Hope this helps.

Craig

• Hi Craig-

I do in fact mean a Report. I have a report created that generates a new row when a date is put into a cell on a separate sheet. I would like to the report to email a co-worker when anything on the report changes.

Example: My sheet tracks product UPCs and when the packaging goes through a revision. When the revision date cell is filled in on the sheet the report list the item and the revision date. My co-worker then checks the report to see which items are currently going through a revision.

Thanks, Megan

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Megan,

That's going to be harder.

A report is not really a "thing" as it has no data until is refreshed/viewed.

To trigger the email, you'll need to trigger from the sheet(s) that are the data in the report.

I don't know how you did this:

"...a report created that generates a new row when a date is put into a cell on a separate sheet"

Can you explain that functionality? Are you using a third-party tool to do that?

.Or maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Can you send a screen shot of the report builder dialog?

Craig

• Craig, I think she means the report builder is set up in such a way that when a date is put into a cell on the sheet, the report adds it to the report. The report itself is not generating the row, but the report builder is looking for a date in a particular column in a source sheet.

To answer your question, no - reports cannot email someone when changes are made. You would need to set up the notification on the underlying sheet which could email the user when a change was made. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Sasha. I'm off my game today.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.