Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Earned value

Øystein Wikeby
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Is there a reasonably easy way to track earned vs planned value with Smartsheet?

Comments

• So I have set this up in the following way. 

I have project sheets for each of my schedules and then I create a separate sheet for the EVM portfolio using a combination of cell links and Formulas. In each project schedule I have an overall summary row that gives me the Start, Finish and % Complete of the entire project. These get linked into the portfolio view. 

Here is what my portfolio sheet looks like. I show the generic formula under the values for each column. I had to split the row into two images so that it was readable. Sorry. Hopfully you get the idea. 

Hope that helps, 

Robin

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.37.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.38.25 PM.png

• Øystein Wikeby
    edited 12/08/15
  • Interesting technique.  Any plans to add this functionality in future updates?

• I took a slightly different approach to track the complete earned value metrics for each task as it relates to the original start/finish dates, the actual start/finish dates, the planned durationand the % allocation. It is looking at costs to perform each tasks. We currently do not have a way to determine actual labor costs for each task, so we have to estimate an hourly rate and go from there. It allows us to get ballpark on labor costs, but it does allow a fairly accurate SPI and CPI, which helps with schedule analysis. We are in the early stages of use and are working out a few kinks, but so far so good.

I've requested this feature of Smarsheet before, but it didn't take too long for me to add the proper calculations. It would be nice to have this as part of the product thought.

• Hi All, I see these posts several years old, but I was wondering if Kevin, or anyone else has a template they wouldn't mind sharing for EVM? 

This discussion has been closed.