Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Fetching Parent Cell value for Children Cells

Julien
Julien
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Hello,
I would like my Children Cells to fetch their value from the Parent cell.
Is it possible?
Will it be possible soon?

NB - I do not want to fetch the value from the "cell reference" of the parent ("=[Related Invoice]1 ")

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

I love this idea, Julien! I agree it would be useful to have a PARENT() function. This does not exist yet in the app but I will add your vote for this to our enhancement request list. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Julien,

Here's my work-around

The formula in the ParentRow determine if the row is a parent or has no children.

The formula in the GetParentValue will use the value from the Value column if it finds a parent, otherwise get the value from the row above.

Depending on how you want to lay out the data, I have also just put the formula in the Value field and overwrite it for the Parent rows.

A gotchas:

- Formula expects to start on Row 2 - but one could just deleted that part of the formula for the top row if necessary.

I use the formula in the ParentRow a lot for conditional formatting of header rows.

Hope this helps.

Craig 

SS_GetParentValue.jpg

This discussion has been closed.