Calendars

Kelly
Kelly
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

2 Part Question

I want to make 2 employee calendars 1 for vacation another for PTO.  Can I create just calendars? 

I created an installation sheet and a service request sheet.  Is there anyway to merge the 2 calendars and color code the installation separate from service request.  I would like to be able to view 1 calendar to avoid over booking.

Comments

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kelly,

The shot answer to this is yes. I'll let you in on a little secret. All the templates are fundamentally the same. You can turn a project into a calendar and a service request into a gantt with a little configuration.

If you want one calendar, then let's create one calendar. No need for seperate PTO and Vacation calendars. You even create a form that ask users whether they are applying for PTO or Vacation leave via a dropdown.

To stop your new calendar having redundant columns/functionality, I'd start off by creating a Grid. Fill it with the columns you require (e.g. name, start date, type dropdown etc.) and then save it.

Next, to differentiate between the two leave types, create conditional formatting rules that colour the Task Bar different colours depending on whether Type is PTO or Vacation.

Now use the View menu in the top left to switch to Calendar view. If you have done the above correctly, you will end up with a Calendar displaying the dates for all records in a colour coded format.

Kind regards,

Chris McKay

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 10.41.41 pm.png