Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Adding groups to existing groups

frog learner
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is there a way to add groups to existing groups to create a sub-group hierarchy? Google apps for work has this and it is very convenient. If it is not an existing feature, I think it should be.

An example where this feature is helpful is for creating a group for an entire company where each entry is another group that contains a specific department of the company. If I have 10 departments in my company and each department has 100 employees, having a group for the entire company would entail 1,000 entries - something that isn't practical or realistic to maintain.

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Frog, groups do not support sub groups at this time but I will submit this request to our Product team. For now, I would have one group for all your employees then separate groups for each department. 

• So, if you get a new employee you have to remember to put him/her into every group that would be in a hierarchy. Because there is no hierarchy of groups.

A bit of a miss for the Groups feature. They are designed to make user management easier

This discussion has been closed.