Rows' will not permanently delete

Maggie Young
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I right click on the rows at the bottom of my sheet and delete but they keep reappearing.

I'm fine with say three but there about 12. These also are printed. can you help?

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason, Smartsheet automatically adds blank rows to the bottom of your sheet. They shouldn't print but if you are experiencing issues, try deleting the bottom rows by selecting the first and last blank row and then right clicking on one of the selected rows and deleting them. Then choose the print icon immediately and you will be able to print the sheet without the blank rows. 

You can also select the rows you want to print and choose the print icon and choose Print selected rows. 

• Caravan
    Caravan ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm experiencing the same thing even though the above issue was reported 4 years ago :-(.

I'm trying to delete 800 line items to start fresh instead started from a blank sheets due to all my formulas and reports have been developed from this sheet.

Can anyone help?

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are always at least 10 blank rows at the bottom. Whether or not they are counted can involve many factors.

Are you using formulas that are copied down the columns, or are they set up as column formulas?

It looks like you have cross-sheet formulas from or cell links out to other sheets referencing those blank rows. How are these set up? Direct cell links can cause this to happen.

Are there any hidden locked columns anywhere that may have data?

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/24/23

Editing to ask: did you clear the data from the rows or did you delete the actual rows? Once you've entered data in a row, it is assigned a Row ID on the backend and your column formulas will always refer to those rows -- you have to delete rows for them to go away. Deleting rows does not delete the column formulas. You can delete every row and if the formula is a column formula, the formulas will remain.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW:

Yeah, @Caravan, it looks like your referencing those row numbers in a formula as Jeff said above. Change your ranges in your formulas to (for example) "[N/A]1:[N/A]791" instead of "[N/A]1:[N/A]801". Better yet, swap the formulas to column formulas instead of static ranges (I.e. instead of using the range "[N/A]1:[N/A]801", use the range "[N/A]:[N/A]"). You have to be an owner or admin of the sheet to create the column formulas. Here's an article on how to use column formulas.

Use column formulas to apply calculations to all rows in a sheet | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Caravan
    Caravan ✭✭✭✭

I thought of that but thought there may be an easier way to just delete instead of un-converting the column formula. Thanks a bunch. You guys are awesome!