Adding a Title to a COUNTIF formula

I am looking for guidance as I feel like I am missing something really simple.  I would like to be able to have a title(label) included in my COUNTIF statement.

This is the total count formula I have for the parent row:  ="May 2018" + " (" + COUNT(CHILDREN()) + ")"

This formula displays in the cell as May 2018 (3)

~~~~~~

I want to be able to do a similar display in the parent row for truck loads that are going to one specific location.

This formula is not what I want because it counts all of the "specific location" entries on the entire sheet (not just the children within this parent row).

="US Loads (" + COUNTIF([Location]:[Location], "specific location") + ")"

~~~~~~

This formula works, but does not display in the cell with a title.  It only display that number.

=COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "specific location")

I thought I was on the right track but this formula below is coming up as #UNPARSEABLE.  What did I miss?

=“US Loads (“ + COUNTIF(CHILDREN(), "specific location") + ”)”

Comments

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Lisa,

Looking at the last formula, your structure is correct and I believe the answer is simpler than you thought.

I'm guessing you copied and pasted the components of your formula from somewhere else (e.g. a website or Excel). Notice the quotes in the last formula (“) are different to the formula before it (")?

Simply type over the quotes in your last formula with the " key on your keyboard and the formula will more than likely work.

Kind regards,

Chris McKay

• Yes - so simple!  Thanks for catching that Chris.  Appreciate the help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!