Dashboard Charts - Using Reports

Hi 

The new dashboard charts are a great addition to Smartsheet.  Will you be introducing a way of charting against reports as well as sheets?  Or is this functionality out there and I am not aware of it?

Many thanks

Tags:

Comments

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee
    edited 02/22/18

Vicky,

Charting against Reports is in the feature enhancement list and on our future product roadmap. 

Thanks

Sasan

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

Vicky,

We just released the new capability to select data from your Report.  You can now select a Report you have access to and then in the chart preview panel you will find a new button called "Select Columns".  You can then select specific columns in your Report you want to chart against. Hope this help. 

Sasan

• Hi Sasan,

When I am in chart preview I do not see a "Select Columns" button.  It just says the report will be charted in its entirety and when I proceed there is a data error.

Thanks,

J.C.

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

J.C.,

Do you have numeric values in any of your report columns to the right side of your first column?  If there are no numeric values in any column, the chart would not know what to plot and therefore, the message and Select Column is deactivated.  If that's not the issue, please attach a screenshot of your report data range and chart preview panel.

Thanks

Sasan

• I'm having a similar issue but curious why I need a number in a report when I don't need it in a sheet?  I have chart by product / status using a sheet - but that requires a lot of cell linking (tried other options but most require some maintenance that for me would be more painful than cell linking. 

So if I can just replace the cell linking by using a report - problem solved.  But have tried 2 reports, moving primary column out of the way to get an axis value in 1st row, but nothing works same as the sheet. 

Assistance would be appreciated

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

Tere,

Would you please provide examples of your sheet and report data source, the range you are selecting for the chart and the respective charts behavior for each?  Examples will go a long way in understanding the situation, providing suggestions or troubleshoot.

Thanks

Sasan

• I've tried 2 ways:

Report - all columns - selected cells (same as sheet) using the select column, I only get 1 value to plot.  So I limited the report to see that helped, which is what I'm showing in picture.  If I select ALL columns which is default, I get 'task' as the legend item, tried moving around the columns to see if that helped, I got a different value now Project as example, but only 1 ever plots and there are about 20 in the list.  Tried selecting only 2 columns, then I get an error message (shown in pic)

SS_ReportdashboardError.png

• Never mind - I'm an idiot LOL, I did my 1st chart off of a formula sheet which is built by project/status - dashboard references it, not the master sheet.  So what I have to figure out is formula to multiple sheets (yuck) or formula to report (which isn't possible it seems) - back to drawing board