New in Smartsheet: Smartsheet Sights & Enhanced Workspace Sharing

Our most exciting product upgrade yet is here! Smartsheet Sights is now live. Sights is a widget-based tool that rolls up information from across Smartsheet and other data sources to help you make better sense of complexity, anticipate project gaps, and curate information. To learn more, visit our blogcontact us, or click here to sign up for our live webinar. 

With enhanced workspace sharing, you can now share individual sheets in a workspace - without sharing the entire workspace. Check out our blog for more information!

Comments

• Team, I am interested in the new enhanced dashboard (widgets) and was wanting to know where I go to start using it.

• Travis
    Travis Employee

John, here are links for more information on Sights (formerly known as Dashboards):

Blog post

Contact us to get access

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a pretty nifty feature.  I have already tried one, and though the formatting options are limited for lists, the core featureset is there.  Hooray.

• This is a good improvement and great rollout introduction. I know you will be working to add features so here are some "first look" suggestions:

• -Multiple columns - I would like to have a long list of links wrap in the Shortcut widget box so it could be saved in a horizontal view taking up less space.
    • -Scrolling Shortcut widget extended lists.
    • -Will you be developing Sights Templates? 
    • -What is the maximum width resolution? The sights windows are responsive and fluid to reduce for smaller margins, but I am using a 27 inch monitor and wouldn't mind using the full screen if possible. I understand you have to draw the limit somewhere and this isn't a big deal.
    • -I am not seeing much flexibility for formatting titles and content. I like the "How-To Guide" formatting, but don't see how to create that look with the current widgets.
    • -Copy a widget from one Sight to another.
  • any indicators on the cost? :) 

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Travis, I am a bit confused by the ehanced sharing upgrade. Is there still no way to set different permissions for specific sheets within a workspace? I think I had mistakenly told myself that's what this upgrade would do. For example, we have a channel-aligned workspace called "Intiatives" where all our corresponding initiatives for the year are included. We have various teams working on various initiatives but don't always want every single person to have access to the workspace as a whole, only the sheet that they align to. We also want them to be able to interact with the sheet, so the "Send' option isn't always best. When you have as much on the go as we do, it would be mayhem to create a new workspace every single time we have a new initiative, project, program, campaign, or publication, so it makes more sense for us to have one workspace per "type" of work.

• Travis - great news on the new features. Just wondering - if I share a report with a user and give them edit privileges - will this still give them access to the whole workgroup? Or, does this new update mean that newly added editors to reports will be given access to the sheets linked to that report. 

Thanks

Stuart

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Tris, the Sales team would be the best resource for information on the cost: https://www.smartsheet.com/contact-us-sights

Jaye, yes you can share individual sheets located in a workspace. To do this, open the sheet, click the Sharing tab at the bottom of the sheet, type in their email address and select Share Sheet (rather than Share Workspace).

Stuart, the update relates to the ability to share individual sheets or reports located in workspace. When sharing a report located in a workspace, if you select Share Workspace, the user will get access to the entire workspace. If you select Share Report, the user will get access only to the report. Reports will still function as they previously have - underlying sheets will need to be shared in order to see data in the report.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Travis, thanks for the quick response. Is there no way to edit current permissions? I have, for example, 10 people currently listed as editors in a workspace, but want to remove two of them for a particular sheet within that workspace. Do I need to remove them out of the entire workspace first then re-add them to every single sheet I DO want them to have access to? Would love to be able to remove sharing privileges for a user on a sheet, kind of a backwards mentality, rather than just be able to set it up that way from now on.

• Is there a widget or some form of feature I can use to post up line or pie charts. I have a tool I am using from one of your Smartsheet Labs - Smartsheet Charts and would love to add the results to the widget vs just one number that is not able to convey the whole message.

That would a simple, but nice feature. Thanks!

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Jaye, at the moment, the process would be to remove then from sharing on the workspace then share each sheet you want share. You cannot unshare a single sheet when a user is shared to the entire workspace. 

Lady, we are working to add additional widget types to Sights in the future. For now, if you would like to show a Smartsheet Labs chart on your Sight, download the image from Labs, add it to a cell in a sheet, create a report from that sheet, and add the report to your Sight. This will bring in the chart image to your Sight. 

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Tris,

I spoke with a sales rep yesterday.  The pricing for Sights functionality, at least for a Team level membership, is $500/year.

A little high for something you can get with free platforms, and that I believe should be part of the baseline functionality of any paid user.  After all, it's just a glorified report with a different interface.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/16/16

Hi Travis, thanks for the feedback - I'll go that route. Much appreciated!

• I have created a View from your new applications but now I can not modify the View. Is there a limit on what the trial View can do? 

• Travis
    Travis Employee

John, could you provide a little more information about what you are referring to when you say, "View"?