Assigned to limitation

Olivier Pillon
Olivier Pillon ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi Everyone,

Do you know if it is possible to assign the same task to many users ? or a group of user ?

Thanks

Olivier

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Olivier,

Yes, it is!

You can use multiple contact columns to assign to different roles. Such as Project Manager, Consultant and so on.

Will that work for you?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant / Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Oliver, 

Yes it is a limitation, to assign the same task to multiple resources. No idea when this will be made available. 

The workaround is that you need to have the same task twice in the plan and then assign task to the respective resource. This only "bloats" the plan, but i see this is the only way, especially if you are also looking at resource loading across projects. 

Hope this helps.. 

Robert

• Daniel Stein
    Daniel Stein Employee
    edited 05/31/18

Hi Oliver,

As Robert and Andree mentioned, there are a couple of common approaches to this:

• Create additional columns for each person assigned. This can be useful when the people assigned have different roles (e.g. primary and backup), since it makes those roles explicit.
    • Break down the task into sub-tasks (indented under the parent task), and assign each sub-task to the single person responsible. This can be helpful in cases where you want clear ownership & accountability for each part of a task.

You can't currently add multiple people in the same cell, and this is something we're working on. There should be an update on this later this year.

Best regards,

Daniel

• Hi everyone,

Thank you for your answers ;-)

I will follow your recommendation.

BR

Olivier

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help!

Best,

Andrée

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again Olivier,

Yes, assigning multiple people to a task is now available.

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/518335-assigning-people-to-a-task

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

--

Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that you can now quickly & easily assign tasks to multiple people. To do so, check the new "Allow multiple contacts per cell" checkbox in any contact column. The cells in that column will then allow up to 20 people to be added.

You can still leave that option unchecked when you only want a single person to be assigned to a task at a time.

Adding multiple contacts to a cell is useful not only for assigning people, but also for other scenarios where you want to associate multiple stakeholders with a row. For example, you might want those people to receive notifications when the row changes, or you may want them to appear in reports and filters.

For some projects, you may want to add 2 contact columns: one for the primary owner, and another for additional team members.

We welcome you to try it out and let us know what you think.

- Daniel