Sorting Names with Accent Marks

Options
tylermh
tylermh ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

We serve an international client base, and when I go to sort names in a smartsheet I built for a client directory, instead of placing names with accent marks in alphabetical order, the sort places all names with accent marks at the bottom of the list. For example, José would be sorted with the "J" names, but placed at the bottom of the "J" names.

Tags:

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Options

Hello,

I tested this using a Text/Number column and a Contact list column, and when using the name "José" along with other names without accent marks, José sorted with the other "J" names.

Keep in mind that Smartsheet sorts alpha-numerically. In a Contact list column, Smartsheet sorts by first name only. Since José starts with Jo- it's likely going to sort toward the bottom of the "Js."

If your José is sorting below names like "June" then please reach out to our Support team to troubleshoot the behavior further.

• tylermh
    tylermh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Shaine.  I'm including a screenshot of what's happening on my end.  I wonder how/why your test worked.  The Last Name column I'm sorting on is a Text/Number column FYI.  So this would require a Support team ticket then, right?

Capture.PNG