Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Linking within Sheet

Mel G
Mel G
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I know you can use = to link cells within a sheet, but if I needed to link an entire row, is there a way to do that?  Or even a couple cells at a time?  I tried highlighting all of the cells I need to link & doing a bulk edit sort of thing, but that didn't work.  Wanted to ask before I spent an hour linking a million cells together in a sheet.  Thanks!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/12/16

If you are using = to have one cell display another within the same sheet, that is not what Smartsheet calls "linking", It is just a equate formula. Linking is between sheets.

If you go to row 1, column 1 that has a formula, say it is pointing to row 23, column 1

=[Column1]23

If you copy that formula (by copying the cell, not contents of the cell) to another cell, it will update based on the new position.

If you copy that to row 2, column 1, it will now have the formula

=[Column1]24

because it is using "relative referencing"

You can copy that one formula to the rest of row 1 and now row 1 will be showing what is in row 23.

Or you could copy it the the rest of Column1 and it will be pointing to the cell 22 rows below (you probably don't want to do that, since now row 23 is really row 45 which is ...

But you hopefully get the point, just copy and paste them. You can drag-copy too.

Hope that helps.

Craig

• In the sheet you want the row to link:

Highlight those cells in that row, Right Click and select Link to Cell in other sheet

Find the sheet, then select the cells in the row that will be linked

voila

• Craig!!! Yes!! That's exactly what I needed!!! Thank you, you've just saved me oooodles of time!

Jeff, much appreciated, but was looking to "equate" within the same sheet so Craig's answer did the trick! 

This discussion has been closed.