Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Using Smartsheet data to populate project documents

I looking for opportunities to streamline the production of project updates / documentation by trying work out the best way to use data already captured in various smartsheets to populate project updates to our product development steering group.

I presume there is no function in Smartsheets that facilitates the output of data in a specific layout (almost like a reverse webform); so thinking it would have to be an export in Excel format and then a macro to pick out the required info and populate it in an approrpiate template.

I would be interested if anyone has come up with a solution to this or if you can suggest any other approaches.

Thanks, Marc

Comments

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marc

Some suggestions for you... 

Create a Dashboard of KPIs at the top of each project Sheet, then cell ling all your projects to a Portfolio Summary Sheet that only shows High level Cell Linked data. 

Then to make the data more easy to consume, use Smartlabs for some nice Graphs of the data. All in Smartsheet in Real time and the Graphs show data when hovered over the elements and look nice on the Desktop of your steering group without having to provide them access to the underlying data if you dont want to. My colleague JamesR came up with this solution and it works a treat. 

For a written Report in PDF, why not use the above dasboard KPIs to populate a Google Doc using Smartmerge to Google Docs onto a prepared Template Doc, then email it to them. Remember to keep all your KPI data on the same Row for the Merge idea? 

Hope that helps? 

RichardR SBP in Yorkshire.

• Hi Richard,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll give those a go and see how I get on.

Regards,

Marc

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff Marc, let us know if you get stuck?

Richardr

Smarterbiz

This discussion has been closed.