Chart Related Queries

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

Today's Rabbit Hole: Charts.

Here's some things I did not know or thoughts I had today:

1. When building a Chart in a Dashboard, can I somehow import an existing Chart built using Smartsheet Labs?

(From Reports, Labs allows 100 rows of data, Dashboard widget allows 500 rows of data) 

2. In Labs, is it possible to switch column order or do I need to build a special report for that?

3. Is adding Gantt Chart choice to the options likely in the near future (2018)?

4. Is adding a Scatter Chart choice to the Dashboard widget options likely in the future (2018)?

I am not proposing any of these as enhancement requests. The only one that I consider of more than middling importance (at the moment), is #1 as it impacts my calculations for ROI on moving existing charts from Labs to something else -- if I have to recreate them anyway, then there is no additional barrier to moving them to PowerBI or Tableau.

Craig

ps: There is no Labs or Dashboard functionality listed in Community post tags. Sights are still listed as Sights.

SmSh_SwitchColumnOrder.png

Comments

• Hi Craig,

Currently, there isn't a way to import a chart built with the Labs app into a dashboard. They'll have to be recreated manually. If you're looking to use Power BI or Tableau when recreating your charts, you might explore the ODBC driver to make it easier to get data over to those applications: https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/smartsheet-odbc

There also isn't a way to switch column order in the labs app.

On #3, can you clarify where you're wanting to see the Gantt Chart? I believe that you can display Gantt with a report widget on a dashboard. Were you looking for a different functionality?

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Shaine.

For PowerBI, no ODBC driver is needed. It connects directly to Smartsheet as the source (and Reports too), if I recall correctly. 

For #3, I was thinking that the Gantt chart limitation of Smartsheet (two dates per row) might possibly have a work-around in a chart widget.

Craig

• Sasan
    Sasan Employee

Craig,

Hope all is well.  Scatter and couple of other charts types are in our backlog for Charts.  Once we get closer in developing these new chats types, we will inform and reach out to the community.

Thanks and hope to see you at Engage in October.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭