Dashboards - Auto send PDF

Options
TeeM
TeeM ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Can I send a PDF of a Dashboard on a reoccurring basis? Recipients just want to receive by email on a regular basis and not need to login to view.

Comments

• DonnieKnightJr
    Options

It may not exactly answer your question, but to get around this I usually publish the dashboard (clicking the globe) and provide the published link in a weekly email. The engagement went way up when Leadership stopped having to log in. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Donnie,

I like that idea and will add it to my list of things to (hopefully) increase adoption rates.

Craig

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your suggestion Donnie.

Do i understand from this that you can't send a PDF of a dashboard simply??

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I have this on my list to try, but I haven't had time yet. It looks like it could do what you want.

Would it work for you?

Please see the attached link/screenshot for more information.

http://www.shrinktheweb.com

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

I simply want to distribute a PDF of a dashboard directly out of Smartsheet like you can with a report on a recurring basis. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do it inside Smartsheet today. 

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep, Andrée beat me to it. Submit the request.

If the PDF is the important part of the requirement, check out that shrink the web link he provided earlier.

If the prompt people to view the Dashboard is the important part, then looking into automating an email with the published link.

Craig

• Midnight2400
    Options

Has this feature been implemented yet?

• TeeM
    TeeM ✭✭✭
    Options

Still waiting as far as I am aware. sad

• Julie Green
    Options

I would love to have this as well.  The share link option will not work for our external clients due to our security settings.  And we like to have a saved version as a snapshot in in time.  If I am not able to print it as I need to for a status update, that data is lost as it's real time.  I really love this dashboard and want to leverage it wherever we can. 

• Guy Dar
    Options

This is a much needed feature.

I don't know about PDF, I prefer formatting the dashboard in a mail. All we need to do is define distribution and frequency.

PDF, same as a link, require one more click and people will not do it.

• Jorge Montoya
    Jorge Montoya ✭✭
    edited 04/29/20
    Options

Hi All,

I found a work around to this, see below what I did. It is not the solution but it works for me in an automated way.

1.Create your smartsheet dashboard, then share the link either public or with a person that has to log in, copy that link.

2.After, go into Microsoft flow now called power automate to create a "send an email flow"

3.Create a simple automation to send an email. the flow only has to parts. part1-Set it as a recurrence. Part 2- the body of the email. In the body of the email paste the hyperlink copied before for your dashboard.

I have done already and it works.

Jm

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jorge Montoya,

Nice workaround!

Another method and the one I use in my client solutions is almost the same as yours, but instead of using Microsoft Power Automate I use an Alert Workflow in Smartsheet. I always try to keep as much of the process in Smartsheet.

Make sense?

Would that work for you?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

We have many clients that we want to send weekly dashboard updates and this is the workaround I have created...

1. Client has their own sheet
    2. Create an automation that sends a weekly email at a set time
    3. Include the link to their dashboard in the automation email verbiage
    4. Emails are automatically generated and sent each week and client can click on the link in the email to access their dashboard and see their updates
    5. Relax...lol

This has received a lot of engagement for our clients and it is nice that they can interact with the live dashboard and review their performance and work with their consultant if they have questions.

• yellowcat
    Options

@Andrée Starå I tried to find what you are describing and it appears to be only available in the worksheets, not dashboards. Could you please clarify how to do it in regards to dashboards?

Thank you!