Resizing the Image Widget

Carissa W
Carissa W
edited 09/06/22 in Smartsheet Basics

Is there capability to adjust the white space around the image, in the Image widget on a dashboard?  When I insert a logo, there is a good amount of white space bordering the image, and therefore takes up much more room that it needs to on the dashboard. 

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would edit your image and make sure the logo is cropped in. I don't think that smartsheets has image editing capabilities. https://imageresize.org/ has image cropping capabilities if your marketing or graphic design department can't do it for you. 

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/27/18

Yeah, I don't think Carissa was asking about the ability to crop an existing image, but to remove the chunky 20px margin that surrounds every single widget on a dashboard.

I too would love this. Give me 0 margins by default and let me create my own spacing. Or provide the option to specify the margin in the widget edit page. Also, being able to remove the white widget background (so transparent PNGs can be used) and the ability to set the dashboard background to something other than grey or white would be great. 

Once again, it looks like Smartsheet's product team made decisions for customers when developing. If they could provide the option to switch between grey and white, they could have added a colour picker like that used for other elements (such as titles).

• Or you can use another simple image tool for resize and cropping https://resizemyimg.com/

• Julia B
    Julia B ✭✭

Agreed @Chris McKay ! 

The default 20px padding is a pain

• Ami Veltrie
    Ami Veltrie ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm having the same issue.  Did this get resolved?

• I agree - this is VERY painful for us.  Any plan to adjust?

• Hi everyone—

There currently isn't a way to adjust the automatic margin around images in the image widget. When you have a moment, please submit a Product Enhancement Request using the form underneath Quick links to the right of the community site and let our Product team know that you'd like to see this feature added.

• Sheetuser1
    Sheetuser1 ✭✭✭

I would agree that this is a feature that is desperately needed.  I noticed on all the webinars and on sample templates that in order to get a nice looking heading / border on the dashboard, an image widget was used.  I've tried to replicate this image using PowerPoint and saving as JPEG file.  When I display image in Smartsheet, it converts very small and there is a large border.

If this feature isn't going to be provided for several years, at least it would be helpful if a Job Aid is provided on how to easily re-create the images that Workday provides on the Templates.

• psvalbe
    psvalbe ✭✭
    edited 09/11/20

Hi - is there a solve for this? I have an image of sufficient resolution (250kb, PNG, 2000x1000px). It appears Smartsheet adds a default margin around any image you upload, and the initial padding is very generous with a very tiny image size. So, when you scale the image up, the padding also scales up. This results in the actual image sitting way beneath the screen fold, rendering my use of the image useless. I've uploaded 1) a screen shot of what the initial upload looks like, and the incredibly large amount of white space padding that Smartsheet adds to it. Then, 2) a screenshot of the image scaled up, along with the crazy amount of white space and padding - you can see the main image then gets pushed below the visible space. Plese fix the Image Widget feature!

• I don't think so. We've run into this issue since day 1 of using SS and it's a bit of an annoyance. Dashboards look a little ugly and aren't as useable with the 20px spacing. It seems worse when you have lots of small tiles too, the gaps between the images are massive.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @psvalbe & @GrahamR

There is an upcoming redesign coming to Dashboard next year, so it will probably be much better then.

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Curious if this issue has been resolved? 4 years later and the boarder around an image still persists...

• Umm Or you can use another simple image tool for resizing and cropping image https://compresskaru.com/

• I'm having the same issue. The attached file (vertical dotted line1) is as skinny as I can possibly make it. When I add it to an image widget in Smartsheet it looks like other attached file (vertical dotted line1 in smartsheet). I am unable to reduce the size to reduce/eliminate the generous left and right white. I tried the compression/cropping URLs above using the original 'skinny' jpg and those apps see the image like I created it...very skinny...so there is no way to crop it. Hoping someone smarter than me (i.e. all of you) has or will come up with a solution. FYI the white space added to horizontal lines is much more tolerable though still not ideal. Thx.