Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Enhancement Request: Show indent levels of project tasks in reports

Dietrich Koch
Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I would really love to see the indent levels of tasks in report based on a project plan.

Today all tasks are shown left-aligned. With a rising count of tasks, subtasks and subtasks of a subtasks (and so on) it becomes confusing and unreadable. People not as deep into the plan as the project manager get totally lost very soon...

Switching on GanttView in the report does not help since parent tasks are not shown as roll-up but have the same style as tasks... :-(

Best

Dietrich

Comments

• Hi Dietrich--displaying hierarchy in reporting is a feature that is currently on our enhancement request list and I've added your vote to support it. Thanks for your input!

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Kennedy,

thanks for that!

• Hi Dietrich,

Thanks for the feedback! We are currently designing reporting enhancements that would:

- Show parent row information in a report.

- Allow grouping in reports.

- Allow summary calculations in reports.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm eager to see these.

#3 will replace several of my solutions (and that's a good thing)

I'm going to have to put #1 through the wringers, as it could easily break things.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Craig

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/25/16

Daniel,

that sounds realy great!

Can't wait to have it :-)

Best 

Dietrich

• Dietrich Koch
    Dietrich Koch ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Daniel,

any news on this?

Maybe you have a timeframe for the reporting enhancements you mentioned?

Best

Dietrich

• Daniel Stein
    Daniel Stein Employee
    edited 12/07/17

Hi Dietrich,

Sorry for the delay -- I think I missed the email notificatoin of your post.

With the recent formula engine improvements, there are a number of calculated columns that you can add to sheets that should be useful for your reports. For example:

=COUNT(ANCESTORS()) calculates the hierarchy level

=JOIN(ANCESTORS([primary cell in this row]), " > ") displays the complete parent hierarchy information.

With these formulas, you can display parent row information in a report, or filter rows from a particular sheet hierarchy level.

We don't yet have an ETA for the grouping and summary calculation features in reports, and I don't expect we'll deliver these until next year.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

• Hi,

Do you have any update on when this feature will be avialable? 

Thanks,

• Hi Anne,

We don't have a timeframe for when these reporting improvements will be added to Smartsheet but I've got your vote down for this on our enhancement request list for further consideration.

• Hello Smartsheet team,

Do you have any updates?

this is a very critical issue for me and my organization.

thank you!

Cheers,

• +1, would be great to show indentation in reports..otherwise, everything is all jumbled together..

• Hi, 

Any updates on when indentations & "include parent" options should be available into the reports? 

That would be awesome! 

Thanks

• This would be very helpful to us as well - any update on timing?

• I agree, an update on timing is very important. Not having this feature makes the product almost useless as it cannot be viewed accurately.

• Daniel Stein
    Daniel Stein Employee
    edited 12/07/17

Thanks for checking in. We are currently working on infrastructure improvements to reporting that will improve reporting performance and pave the way for reporting feature enhancements. We don't yet have a specific timeline to share for the feature enhancements, but in the meantime we are always interested to hear about your scenarios, so please keep the feedback coming. The more detailed you can be about how you'd like to use reports, the better.

In the meantime, as mentioned above you can add calculated columns to your sheets in order to  display hierarchy information in your reports. Here are a couple of useful formulas for this purpose:

=COUNT(ANCESTORS()) calculates the hierarchy level

=JOIN(ANCESTORS([primary cell in this row]), " > ") displays the complete parent hierarchy information.

Thanks,

Daniel

This discussion has been closed.