Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Google Docs attachment Error 401

Pam Tadsen
Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

I want to attach documents through Google Docs so when I make changes to the original file, the attachment in SmartSheet automatically retains the corrected version (which it does not if you upload a file from your computer).

However, when I select Attach, Google Drive, I keep getting the following message:

Unauthorized - Error 401

My personal email is a google email, but my work email is not.  Though we have shared folders on our Google drive, it just will not attach. How can we remedy this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 01/26/16

Hi Pam,

I edited my post because I found additional information. 

This is a new bug on Google's side of the integration and we have reported this to them. When you are logged into a Google account in your browser that is not the same as the one that has access to the Drive files, you get this message. Try logging out of all Google accounts except the one that has access to your company files and Drive account (Log out of your personal Gmail). 

• Pam Tadsen
    Pam Tadsen ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Travis - that was extremely helpful!

I did log out of the "other" Google account, signed back in with my office Google account, approved access, and bam! it all worked perfectly!

This is really helpful when we attach the "final" docs through Google, so we know that, even when changes are made to the original file, SmartSheet still has the correct version accessible.

Again, thank you!

• I have logged out of all Google email accounts and have restarted computer but to no avail.  Any other thoughts as to how to rid myself of the Unauthorized - Error 401 prompt??

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Hi Drew - try using a Chrome incognito window. To open this, click on the Chrome hamburger menu  to the right of the URL bar and select New Incognito Window. Log into Smartsheet attempt to attach a file from Drive from within this window. 

Also, I looked into your account and I see the email address associated with your Smartsheet account is not the same Gmail account you are linked to. You will need to make sure you are logged into the correct Gmail account for this to work. For security reasons, I wont mention the emails here but if you are unsure of the email address you used, feel free to email me and we can talk privately: travis.hannon@smartsheet.com

Hopefully Google will fix this bug soon! 

Screen Shot 2016-03-07 at 1.50.56 PM.png

This discussion has been closed.