I am hoping that Smartsheet will prove to be the solution I am looking for, but I need a bit of help to get set up correctly.
I currently manage a Design team in a tech org, and I resource two types projects with my group:
- Long ongoing projects (these typically have one to two people assigned to them for 3 months at a time)
- Intake projects (these typically have one person assigned to each intake request once reviewed and assigned)
The resource pool is the same across both types of projects.
The way I am setting it up right now is:
- I have my resources/names in Smartsheet
- For the long ongoing projects I have created a sheet for each project and assigned resources to them for a duration of time. There are currently 4 ongoing projects.
- For the intake projects, I have a form set up where I added a few more columns, one of which is assigned to.
My question is whether I have this set up correctly. And how can I report out things like:
- which resource is working across multiple projects
- which resource is overallocated
- what resource is free in 6 months or even 6 weeks from now
- how many projects am I resourcing my team on
- how can I see what projects come in but _need_ resources, requiring me to kick off a hiring process
The other way I was considering doing it was to have my intake form sheet be the source of truth, and add the long-term projects to that intake form sheet, but that doesn't seem right.