Hi, I'm sure there is a quite dimple solution to the this, but I am having trouble.

I want to count the number of rows assigned to each contact, and I used the formula below:

=COUNTIF(Assigned Work:Assigned Worker, "contactname")

The formula returns the error #UNPARSEBALE

How can I fix this?



Whenever a column name contains a space, special character, or number, the column name should be wrapped in [Square Brackets].


=COUNTIF([Assigned Work]:[Assigned Worker], "contactname")

Hi Valencia,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, [email protected])

Have a fantastic day!


Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

Check your column names. You have one as "Assigned WORK" and the other as "Assigned WORKER". If you are only referencing one column, then one of those column names is incorrect.


My apologies for not catching that the first time.

In reply to by Andrée Starå

I've done the same thing to myself a few times and then spent hours trying to figure it out. That's why I have gotten into the habit of clicking on the cells themselves. That way I KNOW the column names are correct. If I am doing a column reference, I will select a few cells within the column and then just delete the row references.


If that's any clue how often I messed the column names out, I had to change my "standard practice" in formula writing to account for my fat fingers. LOL

Thank you both so much!