Why are users able to enter over 100% in %Complete column?

djpreece
djpreece ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello

Surprised to see users can enter over 100% in %Complete column.

I tried to constrain with pull downs but that isn't allowed for project dependencies...

Any thoughts?

-dp-

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

While the column name is "% Complete", the formatting is based on percent and there is no constraints in the column for range.

It struck me as odd when I first starting using Smartsheet, but I got used to it.

Maybe they will add data validation on Text/Number and this could be user defined, but I am not betting on it.

Craig

• Thanks Craig

Odd indeed, especially since the column is part of project tracking dependencies! 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Originally, the Duration column was not marked as special column -- it was just a Text/Number column with the Duration features. Maybe they will do the same with % Complete.

Craig

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could definitely use this.  Currently I have a special auto-formatting rule set up to highlight when a % Complete cell is greater than 100%, but as all formatting rules create a processing burden on your sheets - it would be much nicer if this could simply be handled with a limit.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the limit is not universally imposed, I'm all for constraints/validations on a column level (like restricted drop down lists)

Craig