Critical sheet status

Ken Armstrong
Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I have another personal best practice to share. I am sure like many of you there is a method to the madness. You have some absolutely critical sheets and if not kept within limits could crash it all. So In order to keep eyes on my critical sheets I created a Sheet status page for me to monitor all those critical sheets in one place.

I added cell counts, Call ins and call out counts to each of the critical sheets. I then cell link the data to this sheet and allow the conditional formatting do its magic. Automations will also send me an alert when a sheet goes above 50% of either call in max or 50% of total cell max. The important key for this sheet to work is a Strong management of change process for these critical sheets to ensure no other admins are adding columns or calls without awareness. Sheets can get out of hand quickly if not regulated when multiple people have admin rights to sheets or workspaces.

Ken Armstrong

Smartsheet Operations Analyst, Carelon Medical Benefits Management

Certified Smartsheet Administrator

Be Firm! Be Fair! Be Friendly! Be Honest!!!

Comments

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Ken Armstrong

Great idea!

By Call In/Call Out are you referring to inbound/outbound cell links/references?

Are you able to count links with a formula or where are you getting that number from - manually from the reference manager?

Thank you!

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! @ker9 Yes I am referring to inbound and outbound cell links/references. Its very important to track those inbounds. I take a row count and multiply it by the manual column counts of inboard/outboard columns. There currently isn't a formula for these counts but the idea has been submitted by several Community members.

Ken Armstrong

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ken Armstrong - thank you for the clarification. I was hoping you had found a magic formula. :)

I do something similar on individual sheets with warning notifications. I like the idea of a status sheet.

• Ken Armstrong
    Ken Armstrong ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ker9 Oh I wish they would roll this magic formula out already. It is very helpful to see all my critical sheets in one place.

Ken Armstrong