Extracting a list of unique value from reference sheet based on some conditions

Options
Gulshan Sharma
Gulshan Sharma ✭✭✭
edited 10/15/20 in Formulas and Functions

Hello there,

I have been trying to extract unique values from a different sheet. Suppose there is a sheet with Project Name, Project Owner and Project Type. I want to extract a list of Unique Project Owners from the other sheet who manages same Project Type. Here is an example data:

I am expecting these two results after applying the formula for both categories:

I have tried Distinct with Collect. This seems fine if I need to count these value but not when I need the list. Can anyone please help me with your expertise.

Thanks

Best Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/16/20 Answer ✓
    Options

For different cells use an index. It will be 2 formulas

index(Collect(Distinct(),Distinct(),Criteria),1) -will return the first result

iferror(index(Collect(Distinct(),Distinct(),Criteria),1+count([first result]$1:[first result]1),"") - will be your dragdown for the rest

• Gulshan Sharma
    Gulshan Sharma ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks @L@123

I got the result what I needed.

Here is the formula used to get the result:

=INDEX(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Range, Criteria Range 1, Criteria 1, Criteria Range 2, Criteria 2)), 1) [ first cell]

=INDEX(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Range, Criteria Range 1, Criteria 1, Criteria Range 2, Criteria 2)), 1+count(Result$1:Result1),"") [following cells]

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Join(Collect(Distinct(),Distinct(),Criteria),char(10))

Give that a try. (make sure to text wrap the result)

• Gulshan Sharma
    Options

Hi @L@123

Thank you for the response. I am able to get these values within one cell using

JOIN(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Range, Criteria range1, Criteria 1)), CHAR(10))

However, I am looking for a way to get these values in different cells so that I can create a summary to show in dashboard.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/16/20 Answer ✓
    Options

For different cells use an index. It will be 2 formulas

index(Collect(Distinct(),Distinct(),Criteria),1) -will return the first result

iferror(index(Collect(Distinct(),Distinct(),Criteria),1+count([first result]$1:[first result]1),"") - will be your dragdown for the rest

• Gulshan Sharma
    Gulshan Sharma ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks @L@123

I got the result what I needed.

Here is the formula used to get the result:

=INDEX(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Range, Criteria Range 1, Criteria 1, Criteria Range 2, Criteria 2)), 1) [ first cell]

=INDEX(DISTINCT(COLLECT(Range, Criteria Range 1, Criteria 1, Criteria Range 2, Criteria 2)), 1+count(Result$1:Result1),"") [following cells]

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!