Can I setup a Default Filter in Dynamic View?

I can setup a default filter in the sheet through the Share Button, but I can't find anywhere where I can do same in Dynamic View? Is this possible?

Answers

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/23

@Katie Lafferty

Do you mean on a normal sheet you can setup the default VIEW type from the Share settings? I don't think you can set the filter through Share. You can share Filters but there isn't a way to make sure that a person is always on that filter when opening the sheet. They would have to manually choose the shared filter.

Dynamic Views can be set up from sheets or reports. So if you need to filter things out of your Dynamic View, the best way to do that is to create a Report and filter things out from the report. However, if you do that you cannot un-filter the Dynamic View without going back to the Report it's built off of and resetting the Filter options.

• Thank you for responding. I can set a default view in my sheet when I click on the "Share". I want to do same in Dynamic View but can't find where that can be done. I do not want to introduce a Report to my workflow but thanks for the idea.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Katie Lafferty

Ah thanks! I haven't gone into the Default View settings in awhile and had totally forgotten you can set a Default Filter there. However, I believe Dynamic View is going to ignore those settings unless the sheet is built from a report that has a filter active.

Can I ask, why do you not want to build your Dynamic View off of a Report with a Filter if you're wanting filtered data from your sheet? You cannot tell when in the Dynamic View that you're using it from a Report.

• yes, it does ignore it. that's why i wanted to do it directly in DV.

I guess my answer would be because there has been ALOT of time spent customizing the system we are now using and I didn't want to setup & introduce another layer to it all when I just want to use a default filter, just like in sheets. If that doesn't exist in DV or DV can't mimic what my sheet is set at, that's a bummer.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Katie Lafferty

I believe the entire reason DV doesn't do that is because the option to create the DV off of a filtered report is already there so I guess there is no need to put that option directly into DV as well. A filtered report is the only option available, I believe.

• that's too bad. my DV is created directly from the sheet. there is no report needed. i'll look into the report idea but was hoping i was just missing a setting. thank you for your input

• i know this is an old thread, but i'd also like to have a 'default view' in my 'dynamic view' to show only those lines associated to the current user. but i don't want to eliminate that information from everyone, i just want it to be a cleaner experience for the user upon first logging in. it would even be nice if there was an option in the dymanic view to filter by current user instead of setting up an individual filter for each user