Index/Match function that transfers hyperlinks to another sheet

Options

Hello,

For this scenario, I have two smart sheets. One that is the main data sheet and another one that pulls certain rows based on a condition. I use an Index/match function to automatically pull data from the main Smartsheet to the side smart sheet. In some columns, the main Smartsheet has hyperlinks and I would like those hyperlinks to be transferred to the side Smartsheet as well.

The index/match function pulls out the text of the cells with hyperlinks but they do not also give the hyperlinks. I always have to manually set up the hyperlinks/or cell linkage on the side smart sheet in order for the two sheets to really match.

Any suggestions or workarounds where I wouldn't have to manually do this anymore would be helpful!

Thank you.

Best Answer

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam1234

If the cell content is written as a full site address i.e. www.google.com etc. then it will pull through to the destination sheet and display as a active hyperlink.

Not sure if you were aware of this as it may allow you to change the way the data is displayed on the front sheet allowing it to pull through to the side sheet and go some way to solving your issue?

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Adam1234

When Smartsheet indexes data from another sheet, or copies data from another sheet, only data values get transferred - formulas do not. A hyperlink is made up of html code, and Smartsheet uses an embedded formula to present it as a hyperlink on the original sheet. So when you link or copy a hyperlink, only the text value comes with it.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• Paul McGuinness
    Paul McGuinness ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Adam1234

If the cell content is written as a full site address i.e. www.google.com etc. then it will pull through to the destination sheet and display as a active hyperlink.

Not sure if you were aware of this as it may allow you to change the way the data is displayed on the front sheet allowing it to pull through to the side sheet and go some way to solving your issue?

Hope that helps

Thanks

Paul

• Adam1234
    Options

Hi Jeff and Paul,

Thank you for your input! I will run these up and see if there is something I can work with.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!