Auto Generation of a Serial Number with Built in Logic Characters

Options

I am wanting to see if anyone can assist in verifying an idea could be reality in smartsheet. I am wanting to create a auto generated serial number but the first 4 characters are based on user input. (Plant Code, Year, Month -Alphabet Character) then a 5 digit auto gen sequential serial number.

It would have to reset after the month though.

Best Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Bunderhill

I hope you're well and safe!

Yes, you can use the autonumbering column, but you'd have to reset it manually each month.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Kelly P.
    Kelly P. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Bunderhill

If the goal is simply to have the serial number placed "automatically" rather than manually, you could collect the user inputs in backend columns, have an auto-numbering column in the backend, and then put the various elements together via formula in a "Serial Number" column. For example, you could pull the year from the created date, pull the month from the created date and convert it to text via formula, have the user select their plant code (or index/match from an employee list based on their name in the created by column). Then a simple formula in the serial number column could pull all of the user inputs together and add in the auto-number.

Hope this helps!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!