Cross-Sheet Dependencies

Hello-

I have 4 functional teams (each with their own schedules). I need to link tasks from each team's schedule into a single program schedule so we can create program-level dependencies (using predecessor relationships) and verify alignment on dates. The problem is that the finish dates do not link across sheets.

I saw a recommendation to use the reporting feature on another post, but it does not allow you to view cross-functional dependencies so it is not a viable solution.

I'm sure I'm missing something because cross-functional teams are very common in project management and a project management tool must the ability to do this somehow.

Thanks for the help!

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest a restructure where you only have one single "master" project plan. You can then use filters or reports to parse out the tasks to each team.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• JackieB
    JackieB ✭✭

Thanks, Paul, I appreciate your comment.

The functional teams are split across multiple projects and each have their own schedules. A single master project plan without these links will require a lot of extra manual work checking between the two to see if a date changed on either schedule. Reports aren't very useful because it doesn't show dependencies or critical path.

I've seen schedules managed this way in at least 3 companies so it's nothing unusual. I'm realizing that it's a big gap in the Smartsheet functionality. I've entered a ticket.

Thanks!

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There wouldn't be a bunch of manual checking between two places if there was one single "master" plan. I meant to have that in place of the individual plans.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• LPelser
    LPelser ✭✭✭

@JackieB we have the exact need that you are describing. Did you receive any feedback on your ticket yet?

• I'm looking for a similar approach to the OP. This is basic functionality among many PM platforms and seems pretty basic to we program managers, who need to be able to understand how multiple projects integrate through dependencies. The barrier to creating one big master sheet, beyond the enormous complexity of composing it in the first place, is version/change management when the master plan has (e.g.) six PMs converging upon it, each of whom own a thousand lines or so. They will be making several changes daily, so working concurrently on the same complex object, which risks conflicts and missed changes (we've already been burned by this and found out the hard way).

Can you please explain how program managers use SmartSheets without manually staying on top of potentially hundreds of inter-sheet (schedule) dependencies?