Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Published Report Links on iPad browser

mchalkley
mchalkley
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello,

I'm a new user and I'm trying to create a report that can be shared with someone who doesn't have access to the underlying sheet.  I've created the report, published it, and copied the link into a Windows Firefox browser tab and it works perfectly.  However, when I paste the same link into an iPad Chrome or Safari browser tab, what I get is completely unusable:  most of the columns disappear, there's no Gannt chart anymore, the toolbar is gone, etc.  Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/09/17

Consider using the Smartsheet APP for the Ipad. That might resolve your issue. 

https://itunes.apple.com/app/smartsheet/id568421135

• Hi Mark,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong smiley

The mobile web browser does not offer all of the same capabilities of the app. To see the published report as you would expect on your iPad, you'll need to access the published report from the Smartsheet app. You can download the ios app from here:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/807569-smartsheet-for-ios

I hope this helps,

Kara

• Hi Kara,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I have the app and am using it.  As you stated, the report looks great from the app - in fact, I'd much prefer being able to distribute it that way.  The problem is that, as I understand the way the process works (and I hope I'm wrong), I can't distribute a read-only version of a report to someone via the app unless they have access to the underlying sheet(s).  I need to be able to share a report with certain individuals who do not have access to the sheet(s) the report is derived from.

Thanks,

Mark

• Hi Mark,

Correct - if you share a report, the person needs to be shared to the underlying sheets to see the data. But when you publish the report, they do not need to be shared (they are not able to edit it though). I'll check and see what improvements we have on our list for viewing published reports - not in the app.

Thank you!

Kara

• mchalkley
    mchalkley
    edited 06/10/17

Hi Kara, 

Once again, thanks for your assistance!  I don't guess it's possible, but I really think it would solve my problem elegantly if I could distribute published reports via your app.  The app provides a better mobile experience.  Obviously, I don't know how your system is structured, but I am familiar with development technologies and process, so I only mention it in case it would be easier to allow the app to view published reports than it would to improve the browser-based viewing of them.

Thanks again - I really appreciate your being willing to look into this for me, because it's going to be crucial to my being able to convince my clients to integrate Smartsheet into their workflow, unless I can find a workaround.  (In other words, to meet the needs of my clients, it's essential that Smartsheet be able to distribute information in a read-only manner to people using both desktop and mobile devices who are not paid users and can not have access to all the information in the sheets the report is based on..)

Best regards,

Mark

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mark,

Have you looked at the following integrations? I think you'll find your solution in one of them.

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/klipfolio

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/easy-insight

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/domo

Best regards & good luck!

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You might also check out AppSheet (www.appsheet.com)

Thanks for the links Andrée.

Craig

• Thank you both, Andrée and Craig, for the links - I'll check them out!  I'm really hoping that the published Smartsheet report can be made to work, though, because the info I need to distribute is pretty simple (basically, just summary lines and Gantt charts from project plans), so the built-in capabilities of Smartsheet are quite adequate - it's just that the reports aren't usable on a mobile browser.

Mark

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi again Mark,

Maybe you could send the information as a PDF?

Best regards 

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée,

Yes, good point, and I may have to resort to that - it would work, but I was hoping for something dynamic, not static, so the managers could look at it whenever they wanted to see the current status.

I really appreciate your using your grey cells on my problem... :)

Mark

• Has there been any progress or internal discussion at Smartsheet on this issue?  It's really preventing me from being able to use Smartsheet in the manner I had intended, so I'll need to pursue other solutions if this isn't going to be fixed relatively quickly...

Thanks,

Mark

• Hi Mark,

It looks like this project has not started yet, unfortunately, as the requirements are still being scoped out. I will let you know if I hear of any updates.

Best,

Kara

• Kara,

:Thank you for your reply - as long as I know it's been accepted as something that's going to be addressed, I can live with that...

Thanks again,

Mark

This discussion has been closed.