Help Sum items by specific year in a row.

Options

Hello,

I need help creating a formula to help me to only sum totals in a column by specific year.

I have multiple years of financial data in a sheet. I want the formula to be able to look at the row - if its 2023 listed, sum their amount and put it in the column for 2023 item totals.

If its 2024 items sum their amount and put it in the 2024 totals column. (not pictured)

This is what I attempted to cobble together myself, but it comes back 'UNPARSEABLE'

=SUMIF([AC UPS Projected Cost]@row, 2023:2023, [DC UPS Projected Cost]@row, 2023:2023, [HVAC Projected Cost]@row, 2023:2023, [G&B Projected Cost]@row, 2023:2023)

This is a snip of the sheet:

Answers

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/24/23
    Options

@PKane

You have some of your formula set up incorrectly. For the sumif formula, you would first point to the year column, "2023" and then point to the summary data. In the below example, I started the formula for you and it is returning the correct values.

=SUM(SUMIF([AC UPS Year]@row, "2023", [AC UPS Projected Cost]@row), SUMIF([DC UPS Year]@row, "2023", [DC UPS Projected Cost]@row), SUMIF([HVAC Year]@row, "2023",[HVAC Projected Cost]@row), SUMIF([GB Year]@row, "2023",[G&B Projected Cost]@row))

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

• PKane
    PKane ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Colleen Patterson thank you very much for your help with this! I appreciate your helping me learn.

• Colleen Patterson
    Colleen Patterson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/24/23
    Options

Glad to be of assistance! When you get a chance @PKane, if you accept my answer, it will mark this conversation / question as no longer needing a response.

If my answer helped you, please be sure to mark it as Accepted to help future learners locate the information.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!