Using IF, COUNTIFS, and HAS functions to locate double booked equipment

hockenberry2d
hockenberry2d ✭✭
edited 02/27/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello!

I am using this formula in a checkbox "helper"

column. =IF(COUNTIFS(Resources:Resources, HAS(@cell, "Gray Van"), [Start Date]:[Start Date], @cell <= [End Date]@row, [End Date]:[End Date], @cell >= [Start Date]@row) > 1, 1)

My hope would be if a piece of equipment is selected in the Resources (dropdown) column in two different rows AND the Start Date and End Date of those rows overlap it checks the box to notify of an overlapped booking.

Currently, it doesn't check the box for the right row when there is an overlap. Can anyone help me find out what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/28/23

Hi @hockenberry2d, does this work?

=IF(COUNTIFS(Resources:Resources, Resources@row, Resources:Resources, <>"", [Start Date]:[Start Date], <=[End Date]@row, [End Date]:[End Date], >=[Start Date]@row)>1,1, 0)

• Hi @Lucas Rayala, sort of. So the problem is if I have Gray Van and Tilt Trailer selected in that row it won't check the box unless another row has exactly Gray Van and Tilt Trailer. I need it to check the box if EITHER the Gray Van OR Tilt Trailer are in another row that have dates that overlap.

Hopefully that makes sense.

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/28/23

Hi @hockenberry2d, I updated this to give a slightly more compact solution (originally I added in some helper columns which aren't going to buy you much). It's kind of an ungainly problem in almost any environment. These are nested IF statements, I used "Gray Van" and "Tilt Trailer" as examples. You need to repeat these if statements for each resource type. Your cell can only contain 4000 characters, so that's your limit.

=IF(AND(CONTAINS("Gray Van",Resources@row), COUNTIFS(Resources:Resources, Resources@row, Resources:Resources, CONTAINS("Gray Van", @cell), [Start Date]:[Start Date], <=[End Date]@row, [End Date]:[End Date], >=[Start Date]@row))>1,1,

IF(AND(CONTAINS("Tilt Trailer",Resources@row), COUNTIFS(Resources:Resources, Resources@row, Resources:Resources, CONTAINS("Tilt Trailer", @cell), [Start Date]:[Start Date], <=[End Date]@row, [End Date]:[End Date], >=[Start Date]@row))>1,1,

0)

Just keep adding the statements and updating the resource name. The last "IF" statement ends with a "0". Then add end parenthesis until the formulas says you're good. I would create this in a Notepad (or in this case Word would work, because there's no quotes, but generally Word changes the quotes so they can't be read by Smartsheets).

Feasible?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!