Copy specific cells via Workflow/Automation

Options

Apologies if this has already been answered but couldn't seem to find anything posted about it.

I see how the workflows operate with creating an entire new row, but I only want specific data from that row to be transferred from one sheet to another.

An example of this is we leverage the forms for an intake system. The data collected from that form may have 10 columns of data. If there is a status change (the trigger), I would want to take specific information from the row (not copy all 10 columns) but lets say I only want the data from columns 1, 4, and 7 to be copied from the one sheet to another. Is that possible within Smartsheet?

TIA

Best Answer

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @fishey9999, the easiest way to do that is to simply use a formula on the receiving page, such as:

=INDEX(COLLECT({target data on source page}, {unique id on source page}, uniqueID@row),1)  

You can ensure that the formula only triggers when your conditions are met by adding an additional formula, such as:

=IF(COUNT({source page condition 1}, "condition1", {source page condition 2}, "condition 2")>0, 
    INDEX(COLLECT({target data on source page}, {unique id on source page}, uniqueID@row),1)) 

IF you want the actual hardcoded values copied over, the best way to do that is with DataMesh, which requires an additional license. I also have detailed a method using an intervening sheet, which I lay out in this post:

Poor Man's Datamesh — Smartsheet Community

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @fishey9999, the easiest way to do that is to simply use a formula on the receiving page, such as:

=INDEX(COLLECT({target data on source page}, {unique id on source page}, uniqueID@row),1)  

You can ensure that the formula only triggers when your conditions are met by adding an additional formula, such as:

=IF(COUNT({source page condition 1}, "condition1", {source page condition 2}, "condition 2")>0, 
    INDEX(COLLECT({target data on source page}, {unique id on source page}, uniqueID@row),1)) 

IF you want the actual hardcoded values copied over, the best way to do that is with DataMesh, which requires an additional license. I also have detailed a method using an intervening sheet, which I lay out in this post:

Poor Man's Datamesh — Smartsheet Community

• fishey9999
    Options

Thanks for that Lucas!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!