Dynamically populate a Form's dropdown with column values

Hi,

Is it possible to dynamically populate a Form's dropdown with column values?

For instance we have multiple forms that call for an employee selection. It would be convenient for those forms to simply sync with a particular sheet's column so we only have to make a single update to the list and all of the forms update the employee dropdown.

Thanks

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BrianDN, no, unfortunately you can't, not without using the API and code. I had to write a script to do something like this -- I have fifteen columns across several sheets that all have the same employee names. I got sick of updating them all after a new employee was onboarded so I wrote some code to do it for me.

It's a fantastic suggestion, however--you should submit it as a Product Idea.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BrianDN

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Lucas's excellent advice/answer.

I recently developed a solution for a client where the Dropdown lists are updated using the premium Data Shuttle app.

Here's a guide that Smartsheet has since added.

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• BrianDN
    BrianDN ✭✭

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your response. I haven't delved into the SS API or scripting application. I've spent years crafting VBA solutions in Excel, and have dabbled in Google Apps Script, I love how simple it is to make really useful applications using those two.

But my company uses SS, so this is all new. I didn't even know there is a scripting application available in SS.

Hi Andree,

Thanks for the advice. I've reached out to the SS team to verify our plan and if we can incorporate Dad Shuttle.

This definitely looks promising.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BrianDN

Excellent!

Happy to help!

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!