=Count not pulling number from cell on reference sheet

Options

I have the formula =COUNT({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies}) in a sheet which is counting the number of times there is a value entered into that row, not the actual value in the cell. It pulls "1" as the value instead of "5".

Example 1

Example 2

Best Answer

• J Tech
    J Tech ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @DHewitt

The formula you are using, =COUNT({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies}), will only count the number of non-empty cells in the specified range, in this case, the {Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies} column. It sounds like what you want is to sum the values in the cells, rather than count the number of non-empty cells.

To do that, you can use the SUM function instead of the COUNT function. Try using this formula instead:

=SUM({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies})

This formula will add up all the values in the {Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies} column, giving you the total value.

Regards

J Tech

If my response has helped you in any way or provided a solution to your problem, please consider supporting the community by marking it as Insightful, Vote Up, or Awesome. Additionally, you can mark it as the accepted answer, which will make it easier for others to find a solution or get help with a similar issue in the future. Your support is greatly appreciated!

Answers

• J Tech
    J Tech ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @DHewitt

The formula you are using, =COUNT({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies}), will only count the number of non-empty cells in the specified range, in this case, the {Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies} column. It sounds like what you want is to sum the values in the cells, rather than count the number of non-empty cells.

To do that, you can use the SUM function instead of the COUNT function. Try using this formula instead:

=SUM({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies})

This formula will add up all the values in the {Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies} column, giving you the total value.

Regards

J Tech

If my response has helped you in any way or provided a solution to your problem, please consider supporting the community by marking it as Insightful, Vote Up, or Awesome. Additionally, you can mark it as the accepted answer, which will make it easier for others to find a solution or get help with a similar issue in the future. Your support is greatly appreciated!
  • DHewitt
    DHewitt ✭✭
    Options

@J Tech Thank you. Am I able to add a conditional for it to only count a row if the "Complete" check box is not checked?

• J Tech
    J Tech ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DHewitt

=SUMIFS({Demo Room test requests Number of assemblies}, Completed:Completed, false)

Regards

J Tech

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!