Pop-up/Pop-Out text

BStump
BStump ✭✭✭
edited 03/27/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to create a pop-up or pop-out to display the policy or procedure on the use of the sheet/form/report/dashboard. My thought is to press a button, hover-over, or something. I want to link to all or part of the official policy or procedure as i don't want the users to search around to figure out the whys and hows. Anyone foing anything like this? If so, how?

Answers

• Hi @BStump

There are a few places where you can add instructions in a Smartsheet Sheet or Forms:

Column Descriptions in Sheets.

Sheet Summary fields in Sheets (see: Sheet Summary tips and best practices)

Headers in Forms (you could use Conditional Logic where someone checks a box if they need to see more information and then the Header Field appears).

Please feel free to and your vote and voice to these Product Ideas in regards to Dashboards and Reports:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• BStump
    BStump ✭✭✭

Is there a way to link either the Column Description or Sheet Summary text to some source, such as another sheet cell? Can these be dynamic based on some criteria?

• Hi @BStump

No, Column Descriptions are unique just to the one column that they're associated with and cannot be referenced. They're manual entries and unable to be dynamic.

Sheet Summaries can be pulled into Dashboards or a Summary Report, but in order to use a formula or a cell-link to another sheet you'd want to bring in the same data to a column in the sheet (perhaps a hidden one) and then link to that column instead. You can make Summaries dynamic by using formulas. 🙂

• BStump
    BStump ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Do you have an example of how to make the summary dynamic using formulas etc?

• Hi @BStump

Sure! You can use a nested IF statement to return different outputs based on criteria.

For example, if you have a dropdown list with options, you could have a column next to it that displays a sentence explaining the selection based on what what chosen.

For example:

=IF([Dropdown List]@row = "Value 1", "This is an explanation for Value 1", IF([Dropdown List]@row = "Value 2", "Different description for Value 2"))

If you need help building out a formula, we would need to see a screen capture of a sheet with a demo set-up (without any private information) and an explanation of exactly what you need to happen (e.g. what are the elements that need to be "dynamic").

Cheers,

Genevieve