Automation email not sending

I have an automation set up that will not send for some reason. I have "Send to everyone shared to this sheet" but it doesn't seem to send unless I manually "run now".

Answers

• ro.fei
    ro.fei ✭✭✭✭✭

Running automations manually will still honor the conditions set. So unless "Bid Rec'd" is set to "Yes", even manually running the automation won't work. The conditions have to match the ones set in the workflow. Try changing that & see if it works then.

Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. This will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Thanks for your response, I need the sheet to run on its own not manually or it doesn't show the same in the email notifications. I do have bid Rec'd set to "Yes" as the trigger then it should run the workflow or alert. It just doesn't seem too and I am wondering if it is because the individuals shared to the sheet are not part of my account but the sheet is just shared to them. They are outside my organization.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @BJT Platform & @ro.fei

I hope you're well and safe!

Run now will not consider the conditions, only the trigger.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• so then why will this not work if I follow the rules and toggle the trigger? I don't want to be required to manually run this all day.

• Thanks for your response, I still cannot get the workflow to work unless I manually run it. Any ideas as to how this can work.

• Is anyone able to help get this workflow to run or is this a function of our subscription with Smartsheet. I have asked their help and no one has responded, there isn't even an CA rep assigned to this and I need some help.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BJT Platform @ro.fei

I got confused, and Ro is correct. Run Now doesn't look at the trigger, but it will still consider the Conditions.

More info.

Things to know about running a manual workflow

• Run Workflow Now is only available on active workflows, and it may alter your sheet data based on the actions configured in the workflow.
    • Select Send notifications to myself to change who receives email and in-app notifications from the workflow. Use this setting when you do not need to notify everyone specified by the workflow. The setting applies to email and in-app notifications and is not supported for Slack or Teams alerts and document generation.
    • Manually running a workflow does not override any scheduled workflows.
    • Manually running a workflow will bypass all trigger criteria but will respect workflow conditions.
    • You can specify whether to run the workflow on the entire sheet or on specific rows.

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I've done everything you noted, even sending the workflow to myself as the other email recipients are outside addresses and not smartsheet users under my account or any other, it still will not trigger at all. It should show when I send to myself as it's a sheet I created.

• So struggling to find help to something so simple for some Smartsheet users. I have asked the help center and nothing and through this forum nothing that is helpful as well. I have literally tried everything and nothing is making this workflow run. I have done this many times but this one just isn't working. Isn't there a CA rep that can be assigned to this as I need some help.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @BJT Platform

Can you post screen captures of your current sheet set-up (but block out sensitive data), identifying how the change is happening in your trigger column?

Are you manually changing the cell to be "Yes" or is this done through a cell link or cross sheet formula?

Here's a Help Article that explains what can/cannot trigger a workflow: Trigger Blocks: Define When Your Workflow is Executed

Thanks!

Genevieve

• So I am using the add-on through MS Outlook to add items to the sheet, this is because its a tender and there are a lot of lines and emails. So it's easier this way. I update the entire row including the attachment and save it to the sheet. The sheet is then to look and see the trigger has occurred by adding an attachment but nothing is happening. It would be like us using a form, should be the same function.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!