#incorrect argument set - vlookup

Options

Hi There,

Probably a simple user error here but I can't seem to get this vlookup formula to work in my SmartSheet. I get the "#incorrect argument set" error

Here is the formula and the lookup range

Here is the lookup table. I want to look up the name from the range above and return the value in the "All Leaders" column below (column 3)

I've exported both sheets to excel and created the vlookup formula and it works. What am I doing wrong in SmartSheet. Thank you!

Best Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/11/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Kyle, your first portion of the vlookup should be a single value. [Alliance partner]@row

Not the range [Alliance partner]1:[Alliance partner]22 you have in there now.

Then just copy the formula down or make it a column formula.

Also, if your columns in your second sheet ever move, your vlookup will break. You can use index/match instead

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• Kyle Fritz
    Kyle Fritz ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Ryan! That worked. I was used to vlookup working to look up a range in excel. good to know.

Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 04/11/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hey Kyle, your first portion of the vlookup should be a single value. [Alliance partner]@row

Not the range [Alliance partner]1:[Alliance partner]22 you have in there now.

Then just copy the formula down or make it a column formula.

Also, if your columns in your second sheet ever move, your vlookup will break. You can use index/match instead

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• Kyle Fritz
    Kyle Fritz ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you Ryan! That worked. I was used to vlookup working to look up a range in excel. good to know.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!