What is the maximum limit of batch size to insert, update, or delete the rows?

Hi,

For https://smartsheet.redoc.ly/tag/rows API for "Add Rows", "Update Rows" and "Delete Rows", how many records can we insert, update and delete per call request?

Is there any limitation in the number of rows or batch size? If so, what's the limit and what kind of error would we receive beyond the limit? I did not manage to find relevant information in the documentation for the same, would really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @nishikamanira

Since the row IDs are sent as query parameters rather than in the body of the request, there is an upper bound to the number of rows that can be deleted in a single API call (due to the max URL length limit). I don't have an exact number to provide, but I can tell you that if you batch deletions to be 150 or 100 at a time you should have no problem.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

Thanks for your response. I understand for "Delete Rows" API, but can you confirm for "Add rows" and "Update rows" API? What could be the upper bound limit for bulk batch size and the possible error it could lead to on exceeding this limit? If it is unknown, please mention the same for clarity.

Thanks.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @nishikamanira,

For "Add Rows" and "Update Rows" there's no exact limit on the number of rows that can be added/updated at once as the limit is tied in to sheet complexity (e.g. number of columns, number of formula columns, conditional formatting rules, cell links, etc).

You would encounter a timeout error if the number of rows is too many at one time for that specific sheet. Best practice would be to target batches of 500 rows or less for bulk updates unless the sheet is very complex (which would be better to do fewer rows in one batch).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi @Genevieve P.

Thank you for the detailed response in suggesting best practices like always. That surely did help, much appreciated.

Have a nice day, thanks.