How do I set my sheet up so that when I insert a row, it keeps the formatting of the row I selected?

joeguerrera23
joeguerrera23 ✭✭
edited 05/10/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am hoping to have my sheet set up so that when I insert a row (using the green row as an example) it will keep the green formatting of the row that I selected to Insert the "Test" row. I looked into Conditional Formatting, but had no luck as there are multiple different colors in the same column. Does anyone have ideas as to how I can set this up?

Pictures show that it comes in unformatted for both "Insert Above" and "Insert Below".

Best Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Conditional formatting is applied at the row level, not that column level, so that's the correct option for you. You need to identify something unique about each row that you are applying the conditional formatting.

Statuses are often used for something like this, i.e. "if this status is "complete", make the row green".

You can also use a helper column with a formula to assist. You can use this formula to identify the header rows (call the column "ChildCount"):

=COUNT(CHILDREN(AnyColumn@row))

You would get a count of how many child rows each line has. You can then use conditional formatting to do something like: "if ChildCount is greater than zero, then make the column blue".

Here's the page on how to use conditional formatting:

Conditional Formatting | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @joeguerrera23

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Lucas's excellent advice/answer.

It seems like your "pattern" isn't consistent, so another option could be to add a so-called helper column which you can use to select the color or similar and then have that connected to the Conditional Formatting.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Conditional formatting is applied at the row level, not that column level, so that's the correct option for you. You need to identify something unique about each row that you are applying the conditional formatting.

Statuses are often used for something like this, i.e. "if this status is "complete", make the row green".

You can also use a helper column with a formula to assist. You can use this formula to identify the header rows (call the column "ChildCount"):

=COUNT(CHILDREN(AnyColumn@row))

You would get a count of how many child rows each line has. You can then use conditional formatting to do something like: "if ChildCount is greater than zero, then make the column blue".

Here's the page on how to use conditional formatting:

Conditional Formatting | Smartsheet Learning Center

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @joeguerrera23

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Lucas's excellent advice/answer.

It seems like your "pattern" isn't consistent, so another option could be to add a so-called helper column which you can use to select the color or similar and then have that connected to the Conditional Formatting.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hello Lucas and Andree!

Thank you so much for the helpful tips! I was able to set up the "Helper Column" with dropdown values and then set up conditional formatting based on which value is selected.

Appreciate the help!

Joe Guerrera

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@joeguerrera23 glad to hear you got it working!