Display column name in a cell if checkbox is checked

Options
DebbieD2
DebbieD2
edited 05/11/23 in Formulas and Functions

I am tracking the status of multiple deliverables (rows 2-7) using checkboxes in multiple columns (8 in total) with the column name describing what status level the deliverable is currently in. I want a reference cell per row that displays the column name of the column who’s checkbox is currently checked. I have the formula for 1 column (*see below) but a) I don’t know how to nest the rest of the column options in this one cell and b) hoping I can simply reference ‘column name’ vs typing out the full column name each time.

*=IF([Copy 1 (BIW to MDT)]@row=1, “Copy 1 (BIW to MDT)”,””)

Answers

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good morning @DebbieD2 - There is a another great community read on this topic here. Worth asking: How would your formula work if two or more checkboxes were accidentally checked in the same row? If only one status can be true at a time, would you be better off eliminating the checkbox columns, and just making the Current Status column into a dropdown selection list?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @DebbieD2

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this. (Replace the column names)

There's no way to reference the names of the columns, but it's possible to create a so-called helper row with them and reference that.

=

IF([Column 8]@row = 1, "Column_8_Name", 

IF([Column 7]@row = 1, "Column_7_Name", 

IF([Column 6]@row = 1, "Column_6_Name", 

IF([Column 5]@row = 1, "Column_5_Name", 

IF([Column 4]@row = 1, "Column_4_Name", 

IF([Column 3]@row = 1, "Column_3_Name", 

IF([Column 2]@row = 1, "Column_2_Name", 

IF([Column 1]@row = 1, "Column_1_Name"

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!