How can I automate task creation?

CamSME
CamSME ✭✭✭
edited 06/07/23 in Formulas and Functions

I'd like to automate the assignment of tasks upon reaching 90 days of a due date. I've figured out how to create a cell with the trigger date, subtracting the default period from the due date, but I can't figure out how to automate the task creation in a different sheet.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @CamSME

I hope you're well and safe!

You could copy the row to the other sheet with a Workflow.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:[email protected] | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• CamSME
    CamSME ✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå Thank you for the idea! In this case, I don't see it working. I have a database of dates, when I get within 1 year, or 6 months, or 90 days, depending, I want it to identify automatically and generate a task to perform the task associated with the pending deadline.

It's looking like the closest I can get is to automate a notification to a person to tell them to generate a new task. Maybe it could be solved with API Integration? But auto tasking is a feature I'm sure most companies with high volume would need.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @CamSME

Notifying someone to either create the task or the process flow makes sense to me, without knowing too much more about your set-up.

@Andrée Starå's suggestion of copying a row would work well if you knew exactly what tasks would need to be done for each of the different instances/timings. You could have one sheet set up as a template with the different tasks, then when the person get's the alert they could select the appropriate tasks and copy them over to your active sheet. See: Copy and paste hierarchy 

Please also feel free to submit a feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community, explaining your use-case and example. This will allow other users to vote on your enhancement idea!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!