Nested IF formula with input from 2 different columns possible?

Options

I am stuck on a nested if formula. I have 2 columns that set 1 of 3 statuses in a 4th column, here is the basic break down if "APPR'VD BY ARCH'T" is blank, display Awarded in "Project Ordering Status" column, if "APPR'VD BY ARCH'T" is a date, display ABA in "Project Ordering Status" column. Here is the formula that I have in "Project Ordering Status" column-

=IF(ISDATE([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row), "ABA", IF(ISBLANK([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row), "AWARDED", ""))

the part where I get stuck is, I want to add IF(ISDATE) for a separate column, "FAB RLS DATE" is a date, display RFF in Project Ordering Status column.

the linear process goes Awarded, ABA, then RFF. If there is a date in "FAB RLS DATE" column = RFF Project Ordering column

Please help

Best Answer

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am having some difficulty following exactly what you want. This is what I think you mean, but please correct me if I am wrong.

IF(ISDATE([FAB RLS DATE]@row), "RFF", IF([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row = "", "Awarded", IF(ISDATE([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row), "ABA")))

This will set [PROJECT ORDERING STATUS] equal to the following values, with this order of priority:

1. "RFF" if there is a date in the [FAB RLS DATE] column, regardless of the contents of [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T].
    2. "Awarded" if [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T] is blank and [FAB RLS DATE] does not contain a date.
    3. "ABA" if [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T] contains a date and [FAB RLS DATE] does not contain a date.

Answers

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I am having some difficulty following exactly what you want. This is what I think you mean, but please correct me if I am wrong.

IF(ISDATE([FAB RLS DATE]@row), "RFF", IF([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row = "", "Awarded", IF(ISDATE([APPR'VD BY ARCH'T]@row), "ABA")))

This will set [PROJECT ORDERING STATUS] equal to the following values, with this order of priority:

1. "RFF" if there is a date in the [FAB RLS DATE] column, regardless of the contents of [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T].
    2. "Awarded" if [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T] is blank and [FAB RLS DATE] does not contain a date.
    3. "ABA" if [APPR'VD BY ARCH'T] contains a date and [FAB RLS DATE] does not contain a date.

• Pnda
    Pnda ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Carson,

Yes, that is correct and the formula worked.

Thank you!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!