Auto share data with other smartsheets

Does anyone know if I can share data with another smartsheet?

There are 4 departments tracking different parts of the same data. Is there a way to automatically share that data with a main smartsheet?

Excell can auto populate/auto update cells in a separate excel document, can smartsheets do that?

Answers

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Adina.J_Bradshaw

Yes, absolutely. There are a few ways to do that and I'll briefly comment on (2) of them here.

1) Index Match formulas from the Main Sheet to the other sheets. The Main Sheet would be like the data center and the other sheets would have the formula and pull the data into them.

2) DataMesh is a premium app that is like a behind-the-scenes index match tool but with the bonus that if you add a row to the Main Sheet it will auto-add it to the rest of the sheets you have configured as long as the lookup value is unique.

If you are trying to summarize the data from the 4 sheets into 1 main sheet, then that's a little different. Maybe set up 4 columns on the Main Sheet with each pulling from 1 of the 4 sheets. Then, in a 5th column, do a formula like if the value in column 1 is blank, check column 2, and if that's blank then 3, then 4. That would all require 1 unique value column on all the 5 sheets. I hope all that makes sense.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need any specifics.

Thanks,

Matt

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Adina.J_Bradshaw

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Matt's excellent advice/answer.

• Another option, if the data is already in the main sheet, could be to use the cell-linking feature.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!